Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Cabbage Casserole





  This one is for the countless folks who have asked me for this recipe over the years.  It was Mom's favorite dish!  I wish I knew where it originated from, but I know that Mom made a few crucial changes to the original recipe that give this casserole it's very own flair of flavor.  The ground turkey and brown rice make all the difference!  It has been a household staple around here and is now my husband's favorite as well.  I must admit that I can't whip this one up without thinking about her.  Love you, Mom!

2    lbs Ground Turkey
1    Large Onion, chopped
3    Garlic Cloves, minced
2    Cans (15 oz. ea) tomato sauce, divided
1    teaspoon dried Thyme
1/2 teaspoon Dill Weed
1/2 teaspoon rubbed Sage
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
2    Cups cooked Brown Rice
1    Medium head of Cabbage, shredded

Tip: to peel garlic, place the blade of a large chef knife over the garlic clove and carefully hit it firmly with the heel of your hand.  This will crack the peel right off the clove!  Thank you, Chopped!

Next to my kitchen aid, this is my favorite kitchen tool.  It's a Quick Chef from Tupperware!  Never will I ever chop onions by hand.  In exactly 6 seconds, I have perfectly chopped onions & garlic to toss into my pan!

-  Cook the rice first!  I often forget to do this first and then I feel that it sets me back and adds to my cook time for everything.  
-  In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey, onion and garlic until the meat is no longer pink.  
-  Add 1 can of tomato sauce and the seasonings.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
-  Stir in rice and remove from heat.
-  Pour 1/3 meat mixture into a 9x13 inch pan.  Layer with cabbage ending with cabbage on top.  
-  Pour remaining can of tomato sauce over the top.
-  Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.  








2 comments:

  1. I've never had anything like this, so unique! Would love to try sometime! Also, great job on the blog so far, pretty impressed with the consistent posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bri! I am really enjoying it and the posting is getting easier. This recipe is seriously BOMB! I can't believe I haven't made it for you. It's my usual Go-To condolence/new baby casserole. So easy, healthy, and delicious. It doesn't last past lunchtime the following day. hehe

    ReplyDelete