Friday, December 26, 2014

Reese's Peanut Butter Balls

Merry Christmas everyone!  A long-standing tradition in this house has been the one and only Peanut Butter Balls.  It just isn't Christmas without them!  I remember there were a few times in the past that on the night of December 23rd, Mom would be working late to get last-minute things done before taking a few days off to enjoy the holiday.  That would mean that the making of the Peanut Butter Balls wouldn't begin until late into the night.  Lucky me, I got to stay up late and make them with Mom! Yay!  We would be rolling the balls at Midnight.  At 2:00 am, we would be dipping them in chocolate.  If that isn't dedication to a tradition, I don't know what is.

The tradition must go on!  It is Christmas Eve and I have the family coming over for dinner tonight.  Chili, cornbread, tamales, tapioca pudding, and peanut butter balls are on the menu!  I can't wait to eat!  We have been out of town the last few days, so I am just getting around to the Peanut Butter Balls.  I realize I am pushing the envelope here, but at least I'm doing it!

1 lb Margerine (I use butter, of course)
2 Cups Peanut Butter
2 1/2 - 3 Boxes (2 1/2 - 3 lbs) Powdered Sugar
3 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
1 Large package semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
1 package Butterscotch Chips
1/3 stick Parowax

-  Cream butter and peanut butter together.
-  Add 3 Tablespoons vanilla extract.
-  Add powdered sugar 1/2 lb at a time.  When the dough unsticks from the side of the bowl, it is done.  It should be about the consistency of cookie dough.
-  Roll into balls.  I use a Tablespoon to measure them out so they are relatively uniform.  I got 105 balls this time around.  Line baking sheet with wax paper and line up the balls.  Freeze for at least 1 hour.  This is important because when you go to dip the balls into the chocolate, they will stay together .
-  Use a cheese grater to grate the Parowax.  This is the fastest way to shred it up and it will be in small enough chunks to melt right into the chocolate very easily.  (For years, Mom would use a paring knife to cut off small pieces of wax.  This would take SO long to do.  Then 2 years ago, I was over using the knife and pulled out the cheese grater.  Mom was floored!  She couldn't believe she hadn't thought of that years ago. Hehe!  A fun memory!)
For anyone unsure of where to find Parowax, check the canning section of your grocery store.

-  Over a double-boiler, melt semi-sweet chocolate, butterscotch chocolate and Parowax.
-  Dip balls into chocolate and refrigerate until chocolate is set.  I have yet to find a faster way to dip the balls into chocolate other than by dropping the ball into the chocolate and then using two spoons, lift the ball out and pass it back and forth between the spoons to get all of the excess chocolate off.  Make sure to cover the balls completely in chocolate.  It's just better that way!


  Now, proceed with caution! These little gems are delicious.  I have eaten 5 already. 





5 comments:

  1. Thanks!!!
    I was hoping this was one of those recipes you were going to post. I have some very fond memories of those.
    I'm pretty sure that this is one of those that originated with G.G. as I remember them being there when we used to Xmas evening at their house when I was young.
    I forsee a trip to the store today for some Parawax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They came out to be exquisite! I should clarify that 2 regular sized bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 bag of butterscotch makes the coating so perfect!

      I am sure that this was G.G.s as well. There is a phone number at the bottom of the page on the recipe. I wonder whose number it is?

      Delete
    2. It's been cropped out of the photo you posted. Email me the # and I might recognize it.

      Delete
  2. See my progress so far at http://www.dbsail.org/PenutButterBalls/ (I couldn't figure out how to include photos in this comment, so I created a web page with them).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my first attempt at making the dipping chocolate was a bit of a disaster. After 40 minutes in the double boiler, the butterscotch chips still weren't melting. I tried adding a little salt to the water to raise the temperature a few degrees and they at least were getting soft enough that I could mash them with a spoon, but still weren't melting and the choc. mixture was quite lumpy. In my ignorance, I tried to raise the temp some more by micro-waving it a little and the whole thing seized up. After mashing it down between two sheets of waxed paper, I now have two giant chocolate bars cooling in the refrigerator. I'm about to go get some more chocolate chips and try again but without the butterscotch chips this time.

    ReplyDelete