Monday, November 30, 2015

GG's Peanut Butter Cookies



  Hi all, I apologize for the length of time between posts.  In this time, my son was born and we have been a little busy around here.  It is the holiday season again and that gets me thinking a lot about Mom.  Of course, I think of her every day, but this time of year is magical and I wish she could be here in person to experience the magic of Christmas through the eyes of her grandkids.
  Anyway, I had a hankering for some peanut butter cookies about an hour ago, so I pulled out the old recipe books searching for a recipe.  Found it! This one is almost too easy.  It may be a few extra weeks before I am back into my regular jeans (you know the kind with a button and zipper) due to these morsels.


1 Cup Lard & Butter (Mixed)*
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
1 Cup Peanut Butter
2 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla (optional - This was my idea)


1) Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2) Cream butter/lard mixture (totalling 1 cup), sugar, and brown sugar.  
3) Add eggs and mix well.
4) Add peanut butter and vanilla
5) Add flour and baking soda.
6) Mix well and form balls the size of a 50 cent piece.  (That's how old this recipe is...my great grandmother used a 50 cent piece as a size measurement.) That would be about 1/2 inch-1 inch sized balls.  I also need to add to leave more space in between than pictured.  Double the spacing.  They came out of the oven a bit smoothed together. 
7) Press with a fork in a crosshatch pattern.  The dough was soft for me, so I chilled the balls for 10 minutes in the fridge.  Also, a little tip if the fork sticks to the dough when pressing, spray the back of the fork with some pan spray before pressing.  It helps.
8) Bake at 350˚F for 10 minutes.  Enjoy!

That's all there is to it.  Sound off in the comments if you make these and let me know how they come out!

Merry Christmas everyone!


* Admittedly, I used a full cup of butter.  Had I used the half lard or shortening as instructed, They would have come out a bit more sturdy.


No comments:

Post a Comment